Tax Investigations Service
Due to HMRC working hard to collect more revenue than ever before, these investigations are happening more and more frequently. They have now collected so many facts and figures about taxpayers’ financial activity, that they currently hold more information than the British Library! With this knowledge, they can really target who to investigate.
At Dains, we help to ease the stresses of any investigation with our tax investigations service. The annual cost of making sure you’re protected with this service is a fraction of the typical cost of a defence, so is well worth investing in. A tax investigation can come out of the blue and our service will make it as painless as possible.
When you subscribe, we will…
- Handle all meetings and correspondence with the Tax Inspector.
- Negotiate for you to make sure that you pay the right amount of tax.
- Take responsibility for making sure you’re treated fairly by HMRC.
- Give you complete peace of mind that the professional costs of your defence are covered.
We can provide a Service Protection of up to £100,000 in the event of enquiries into:
- Corporation Tax Returns
- Partnership Tax Returns
- Sole Trader Tax Returns
- Personal Tax Returns
- Employer Compliance (PAYE, P11D and NIC)
Code of Practice 8 enquiries (£5,000 limit of indemnity) and Inheritance Tax enquiries (£5,000 limit of indemnity).
HMRC use of Information and Inspection Powers/Sch. 36 Pre-Disputes in respect of:
- VAT control visits
- Employer Compliance Visits
- Check of Employer Records
- National Minimum Wage reviews
- Requests for information
- Capital Gains Tax
When you sign up to our service, we can guide you towards a team of qualified solicitors, barristers for employment law, health and safety matters and commercial issues.
We can direct you towards Legal advisors to give you details of the current legislation and any guidance you may need in areas including:
- Intellectual Property
- Small claims court procedures
- Business tenancies
- Debt recovery
- Dealing with complaint letters (asserting rights)
- Dealing with statutory demands
Employment legislation can be a minefield and a wrong decision could put your business into turmoil. To make certain your business stays compliant and that fair procedures are followed, we can access advice in the following areas:
- Appraisal and disciplinary procedures
Health & Safety Advice
The law states that all businesses should undertake a full health and safety risk assessment of their premises and their business procedures. If there were an accident, your business could be involved in a civil claim for compensation and there could also be criminal prosecutions which could mean fines or even imprisonment. We can access information for you on:
- Undertaking health and safety assessments
- Correct procedures in the workplace
- Understanding new legislation
Costs & Exclusions
If you were to suffer an investigation, Dains will represent you and reclaim any costs you incur in dealing with the enquiry directly from our insurance company. There are, however, some exclusions and sometimes we may be unable to recover these costs from our insurers.
The main exclusions are:
- Fees incurred prior to the written acceptance of a claim.
- Returns submitted more than 90 days after the due date.
- Notification by HMRC of any of the above prior to subscribing to the service.
- Failure to notify or register for tax or VAT.
- Compliance costs associated with routine submission of statutory returns e.g. P11Ds, RTI Returns, CIS Returns etc.
- Cases of suspected fraud e.g. Code of Practice 9 cases and Public Notice 160 enquiries.
- Where there is no reasonable prospect of challenging HMRC (VAT, PAYE and IR35 Disputes).
- Costs for third party valuations.
- Tax planning arrangements where HMRC have allocated a DoTAS Number and/or bespoke tax planning arrangements outside of the normal trade.
The law changes constantly, so don’t put your business or yourself at risk. Our advocacy and our expert advice will make certain that you have the right support when you need it the most.
How to subscribe
The scheme runs from 1 November to 31 October, however if you want to sign up outside of the renewal date you can do so for a pro-rata rate. Get in touch today to get a quote.
To find out more about our Tax Investigation Service please call us on 0800 298 3899 or complete our enquiry form below and we will get in touch with you.