Vacancy: Tax Assistant - Derby/Burton
The position will be based within our Derby/Burton offices. This is a full-time position offered on a 6-month fixed term contract.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Preparation and submission of Tax Returns on behalf of clients.
- Dealing with tax queries on behalf of clients.
- Contact with HMRC and other third parties, as necessary.
- Contact with clients to deal with queries arising when preparing annual tax returns and in dealing with their affairs on an annual basis.
- To assist with the management of a portfolio of clients to ensure that all Tax Returns are prepared and submitted to HMRC by the due dates.
- Calculation of the client’s tax liability, together with a reconciliation of the tax due.
- To check PAYE codes and statements on account on behalf of clients.
- To check repayments issued to clients and, if incorrect, deal with accordingly.
- Calculation of capital gains tax computations and advising clients of their liabilities.
- Review of farmers averaging claims where necessary and making the claim accordingly.
- To assist with the management of a portfolio of clients regarding the preparation of P11ds, ensuring that the deadlines for submission are met.
- Recognising opportunities for clients to change their working practice to avoid the requirement for P11ds (e.g. dispensation and PSA’s)
- To be professional and approachable with clients and staff alike and to exercise diplomacy.
- Demonstrate a high commitment to excellent client service and takes ownership of role.
- Ability to prioritise own workload.
- Ability to communicate openly and build up excellent relationships with clients.
- Not afraid to take on new challenges.
- Able to respect authority.
- Able to take on board feedback given by more senior staff and to use this for personal and professional development.
- Good oral, numeric and written skills in order to effectively communicate with clients on a day to day basis.
- An understanding of the tax system, being aware of the due dates for the submission of annual tax returns and the due dates for the payment of tax.
- Being aware of the penalties applicable for failure to meet the relevant deadlines.
- Efficient use of the tax software used for the preparation of annual tax returns.
- To understand the impact of entries being made on the annual tax return.
- Being aware of basic tax planning opportunities for clients and implementing these with the clients.
Whilst the location for this role will be the Derby office, you will need to travel to other Dains offices and clients’ premises as required.
Our Benefits Package
We offer a full benefits package to all employees and details can be found here.
How to Apply
To apply for any of the positions please email your CV to Jenna Clewley along with a covering note on why you feel you are suitable for the role.